Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ambulance and resuscitation

2 days ago, when i went for oncall, I had an indifferent encounter. There was actually a call for the ambulance. The exciting thing was that i get to follow along. So, without thinking much, with my face mask on, i hopped onto the ambulance. At first, I was kinda worried if I would be suffering from motion sickness as in my mind, ambulance 'fly' on the roads. Furthermore, there is no seatbelt at the back seat. To my amazement, the ambulance seems to be 'crawling' instead. I think the ambulance might have gone so much faster if I were the one on the wheel.Lolz. the only difference between the ambulance driver and me is, I cant drive pass a red light. >.<

I was suffering from fever that day, but i went oncall anyway. I was also coughing so the face mask was on me all the time when I was in the hospital. I had no idea where we were going and what case we were tending to. We headed into a small kampung and stopped by a wooden house with lots of people crowding inside. When we reached the patient's side, he was unconcious with an intravenous line on his hand. After some history taking by the doctor, I realized that the patient had tuberculosis. TB!!! and he was an intravenous drug user, meaning, there is a high chance he is HIV positive. Waaaaa!!! From that moment onwards, I was extremely careful not to take of my mask. I dun wan to catch his TB bugs when I myself is weak.lol. The patient was later sent to Hospital Kota Bahru then we went back to USM. All in all, it was a kinda different experience.

On a sidenote, my economical status really needs some resuscitation after spending so much on books and a new printer. T_T

0 comments: