Sunday, March 8, 2009

The dissappoinment...

Lately, I've been glancing through a lot of my secondary school mates' blogs as I finally have the time to settle down and relax. From it, I just realize how very different our university life is. Some of my friends are in Japan, some in Australia, some in UMS, all are very very different indeed. Comparing myself with them, my experience seems so... ordinary. Or maybe there are any experience except for the long nights of dota and the early ward rounds and on-calls.

Studying abroad has always been what I've been yearning for so long. It was a childhood dream, which remains as such, a dream. There isn't the slightest sign any changes in that status. University life in USM Kubang Kerian(USMKK) so far has been very far off interesting, and even more far off than what I wanted. I've always thought of University life as when we will be more independant, in a large campus which is properly equipped, and has lots of exciting and fun activities. Much to my dissappointment, this isn't the case. My campus is more or less as large as my secondary school with most of the equipments malfunctioning. The gyms have lots of equipments, mostly not functioning. We have wireless, which isn't so unstable that Celcom broadband is fast becoming a trend in the campus. With this kind of connection, our lecturers still expects us to get our assignments done. In the end, we have to turn to the library computer which is the main source of virus infection in the campus. Even the qualities of the lecturers have dropped significantly since the first year I came. A lot of the 'legendary' has become history and lots more are on their way out due to the policy of our campus. The best examples will be our physiology department where there was once a good deal of 'Einstein-ish' figures. Well, for a consolation, we still have a lecturer who does look like Einstein in our surgery department.
I would give anything to be taught be someone like him!
Another dissappointing thing in the campus is the amount of activities. Due to the amount of undergraduates in the campus, there can't be too much activities. We do not have the prom nights, the faculty nights or any dinner in fact to look forward to. Nevertheless, we do have some activities such as student conference which was held in UMS, and a few other outdoor activities. However, much to my distaste, due to the fact that all the organizers of this activities are the M type, we rarely know about the existance of such activities until after they are over. The M people will take this opportunities fully for themselves while when we try to organize an activity, there should be an amount of them present. What an irony! So, for the whole year, the only thing worth thinking about is the Christmas night organized by the Christian Fellowship and also the Chinese new years night organized by 2nd year students.

From the blogs, I also came to realize all the beautiful scenery and all the different weathers that I have missed. Since I have been trapped here for such a long time, I've only experienced the super-duper hot season and the monsoon season where the rain just won't stop. There is no spring, no summer, no fall and no winter. Just plain-o sun or rain.

My university is also just one of lower ranking university in the country. We are currently just 3rd in the standings in our country. We do have a nick called the apex university, but well, I think so far it still counts for nothing since nothing is up to standard. Our university's ranking have plummeted to 313 in the world standing and is only 7 places ahead of UPM. UM not only is our country's top, but they are 73 places ahead of us. Maybe I'm just good enough for this University. Who knows?*shrugs shoulder*

And then there is the whole issue of the hostel thing at the beginning of the year. Its just made me realize that some people's words are just worthless. Our admins are exactly like politicians.(althought not all of them are like that) Its pointless to ask them to get a hold of information of any condition. They will give you any answers to make their life easier. As long as thats the case, if you suffer, thats your problem. So, they be worried if you step in our admins' office and sell a lot of fishes. They do sell them you know. Who says admins are there to help students?

Well, looking at the bright side, at least I will be away from here after one more year(hopefully, fingers crossed). After that, I can try and make a better choice then when I did for my university. After all, we have to pay the price for decisions that we make.haha

0 comments: