Thursday, December 4, 2008

Finally, time to relax...

Ho ho ho, finally, sometime to relax. Its been almost 3 months since I last came back to Penang. I suddenly realize that I've missed home so much. Too bad I am currently home alone, for the day at least. Anyway, its really good to get away from all the hectic schedule once in a while^^

Currently, I have been in the O & G posting. In this posting, each of us is required to at least conduct the delivery of 5 babies. Apart from that, we have on call session which lasts for 12 hours, and we need to go to class after that. Imagine attending to patients from 6pm to 6am, then go to ward rounds at 8am. But I guess, this is just the beginning. Things will just change from bad to worst. Who can I blame? After all, it was me who chose to get into this field. So, the only thing possible at the moment is to enjoy what I am doing.

At the first day of my on-call session, I've been observing how the housemen and MOs conduct the deliveries. On first glance, I was like ' what the hell?!'. I've seen video's of the process, but it's so much different seeing it first hand. There were blood and also the smell of it. Then there was the mother who was in agony. However, when the babies are finally delivered, the mother face would turn into a broad ,wide grin. What I've learn from the deliveries is that the level of pain that is bearable for each person is so much different. Most of the mothers will be able to deliver their babies without much trouble. However, a handful of the patients was shouting their lungs out. Worst of all, this patients tends to be uncooperative because of the pain and sometimes cause serius complications on themselves such as perineal tear and also prolonged labour.

Apart from the on-calls, this posting is notoriusly known for the amount of students failing. In the previous group, 1 out of every 3 student failed the end of posting exam. Imagine what a shock it was to us! So, everyone is currently having the stress of their lifetime. You can see 'panda' marching around in the wards everyday due to the lack of sleep to study as well as the irregular sleep-wake cycle. haha

It seems like this is going to be a tough posting, but hopefully everyone make it through in one piece. haha. We will be celebrating our new year with an exam it seems^^

0 comments: